June 1, 2014

Thread Fabric for a Guest Book

Fibervision just switched its guest book to a 3-ring binder format and I decided to make a book cover to jazz it up. To make the fabric, I'm using all the bits and scraps that "normal" people throw away. It has the thread tails, thread snots as I like to call them (knotted threads from fabric ends after washing), bits of fabric scraps and left over yarn. I arrange the bits on a fabric background until I like the arrangement, cover it will Solvy and stitch like crazy.


I've used this technique before but I've always mounted the finished pieces onto canvas or postcards. This will be the first time that I've created something functional with it. The fabric was wet and in the process of being blocked when I shot this photo. I underestimated how much shrinkage would occur and I have just enough fabric to cover the 3-ring binder.


Now I need to cut it to size and figure out a good way to secure all the loose threads. I think I'm going to go around with a couple rows of straight stitch, then do a wide satin stitch. Somehow, I'll have to attach pockets to each end too. Hopefully, it all works out because I don't have any time left for a redo.

1 comment :

Suzanne Thompson said...

Of course, finishing the edges depends on the look you want and/or the abuse the binder will get. Two, vastly different, ideas are 1. Embroider a blanket stitch all around (you could crochet the flap by starting at the embroidery or even add a crocheted edge all the way around. I'm thinking you could used kitchen twine, maybe even dyed, or 2. Bind the whole piece with a bias tape. It will be fun to see what you decide!